The Automated Work Zone Speed Enforcement program was established by Act 86 of 2018, specifically the addition of Section 3369 to the Vehicle Code. Within the enabling legislation, an informal hearing process was established to allow motorists the opportunity to appeal a violation received as part of this program.
At the current time, all hearings are being conducted virtually in accordance with the Governor’s Executive Order issued on July 10, 2020, and his authority pursuant to 35 Pa. C.S. §7301(b) and (f) of the Emergency Management Services Code. The virtual hearings will take place using the Microsoft Teams platform.
Program officials have been monitoring hearing requests coming into the program. The date and time for your scheduled hearing will be provided in a mailing from the program. This mailing also includes the unique meeting link and phone number for your hearing.
Virtual Hearing Platform
The program’s preference is for motorists to attend these meetings virtually, but a phone number has been provided if you prefer to attend via telephone. This telephone number was provided with the mailing you received indicating the date and time of your hearing.
Virtual Hearing Process
Before the Hearing
- If you have supporting documentation, ensure those are submitted in advance of the hearing.
- Ensure that you have access to and are familiar with the Teams application.
- Ensure that you have a quiet place with a reliable internet connection to attend the hearing.
If you have supporting documentation to support your appeal of the violation, that information may be submitted ahead of time by mail or email to addresses at the bottom of this page.
Day of the Hearing
- Arrive to the virtual meeting room at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled date and time.
- Anticipate a slight wait until the informal hearing officer is ready to permit you access to the meeting.
- To avoid any extraneous background noise, keep yourself muted unless you are speaking.
- If you are disconnected during the hearing, you may rejoin using your original login information.
Contest, Objection, and Supporting Documentation
If you cannot attend the hearing, you may request a continuance (postponement) of the hearing. Requests for continuance must be made in writing no later than five (5) business days before the scheduled hearing date. If you wish to withdraw (discontinue) your appeal, you may request a withdrawal at any time prior to the hearing date. Requests for continuance or withdrawal must be submitted by mail or email at the addresses at the bottom of this page.
A written objection to a virtual hearing may be submitted by mail or email at the addresses at the bottom of this page.
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania – Transportation
ATTN: Automated Work Zone Speed Enforcement Program
P.O. Box 13509
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Findings and determination from the informal hearing will be mailed within 30 days of the hearing date.